To implement Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs), countries will need to mobilise significant levels of private sector investment. As much as $23 trillion in climate-smart investment opportunities have been identified in emerging economies. Attracting the scale of private sector investment at the speed needed to meet NDCs requires appropriate incentives and financial instruments to support project development and the expansion of market demand and business investment. Unlocking private capital to implement countries’ NDCs requires a progressive and iterative process of stakeholder identification of priority investment subsectors, market analysis and design and implementation of financing measures.
The Mobilising Investment (MI) project for NDC implementation is a 3-year project focused on interventions within seven target countries: Bangladesh, Dominican Republic, Ethiopia, Kenya, Peru, Philippines and Vietnam, supported by the German government’s International Climate Initiative (IKI).
Project goal and objectives:
The ultimate goal is to mobilise significant investment for NDC implementation in priority sub-sectors. The project objectives are:
- Identify priority sub-sector(s) per country, map the current investment environment and barriers, and identify key public and private sector stakeholders.
- Build investment cases and facilitation strategies for the priority sub-sector
- Develop and implement investment-enabling actions through providing support to public actors and the private sector to create favourable conditions for private financing of NDC implementation
- Capture and share methods, lessons and good practices
The project is comprised of the following work streams with a range of activities:
Work package I
- Preparation and presentation of NDC priority investment areas / sector selection per country
- Consultation, buy-in and mandate per country
- Technical Assistance for selection, design and/or implementation of levers per country
Work package II
- Analysis and presentation of NDC investment cases developed with the private sector per country
- Facilitating deal-flow through partnerships per country
- Establish de-risking and other measures to improve investment cases per country
Work package III
- Broad-based learning in regional and project groups
Timeframe: April 2017 – March 2020
Partners: Led by SouthSouthNorth in partnership with PwC, ODI (as part of CDKN), and NREL (as part of LEDS GP)
Project funding: € 5 million
For more information, see the Mobilising Investment Factsheet