Job Opportunity: Programme Assistant
Introduction to the programme “Amplifying Voices for Just Climate Action”
The five-year strategic objective of the programme is “By 2025, local civil society groups have claimed a central role as empowered innovators, facilitators and advocates of climate solutions”. Our programme is about climate justice i.e. climate change is not only an environmental problem to be addressed but also a societal challenge with ethical and human rights aspects. Hence our intention is to build wide societal support for locally shaped climate solutions through an inclusive and rights-based approach. This includes building a broad-based climate alliance at country level, bridging divides (urban-rural, gender, youth), that amplifies voices in new, unusual ways.
In addition, we will influence policies (national, global) and financial flows (climate finance , private sector investments) in support of these locally shaped solutions. The programme will be implemented by an alliance of 6 organisations: WWF NL, Hivos, SouthSouthNorth, Akina Mama wa Afrika, Shack Dwellers International, Fundación Avina. During the 5 years’ programme period the alliance aims to increase ownership of the programme by local CSOs.
The programme is funded by the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs under the “Power of Voices” framework.
Role and responsibilities
- Support the Alliance Programme Manager in the connecting role between the consortium partners in close collaboration with the Joint Programme Team
- Support together with a team of staff directly involved with the implementation of the Power of Voices Programme, with the alliance members and through these organisations, the country civil society coalitions and experts involved.
- Together with the Joint Programme Team and the Alliance Programme Manager act as the Programme Secretariat:
- Monitor program delivery in close collaboration with the Programme Manager alliance power of voices
- Support timely submission and consolidation of internal and donor progress reports for the different components of the program in close collaboration with the PMEL and finance staff.
- Support reporting and planning in support of the SC and JPT
- Support the alliance with the preparation of reporting format (both content related and financial)
- Ensure an up-to-date monitoring dashboard
- Organize Joint Programme Team meetings and Steering Committee meetings including reporting and follow-up on decisions and action points
- Support in daily coordination and day-to-day management
- Coordinate and implement, together with Public Affairs staff, the public outreach approach of the programme
- Coordinate internal communication within the alliance
- Support good team spirit within the alliance
- Contribute to and assist with communication materials for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) in close collaboration with the JMT.
- WO/HBO education in business or public administration, political sciences or other relevant field
- At least 3 years of work experience in complex programme management
- Has experience with programme/project management methodologies
- Proven ability to monitor and report in relation to objectives and budget
- Experience in online and offline media to communicate programme objectives and strategies
- Fluent English in writing and speaking, knowledge of other languages is an asset
We are looking for a person who:
- Communicates in an excellent manner: makes documents in a clear and structured way without mistakes and efficiently uses the suggestions of others in order to improve
- Has eye for detail: is able to deal effectively with a lot of detailed (also financial) information without losing the bigger picture
- Knows how to plans and organize: makes reasonable and effective planning and decides in an autonomous manner what is feasible connected with the activities of others
- Monitors progress: is able to monitor progress of the program and reports on hurdles and possible solutions
- Cooperates and connects: contributes actively to the mutual results or problem solutions
- Can deal with stress: is able to perform under time pressure and can deal with set backs
Place in the organization
The programme secretariat is preferably based in the Netherlands to allow for close connections to the Lead applicant (WWF NL) and the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs at the start of the programme, but with the willingness to relocate to the South (one of the programme countries: Brazil, Bolivia, Paraguay, Zambia, Kenia, Tunisia, Indonesia) in due time.
The programme assistant is managed by the alliance programme manager. The programme assistant maintains reporting responsibility to and representation of all alliance partners. This will require occasional travel with the limitation of the Covid-19 pandemic preference is given to video-conferencing. Preference is given to the best candidate.
Information and procedure
Are you interested in this role and do you recognize yourself in the above profile? Then we invite you to apply by sending your resume and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before 23 of November 2020. For questions please email Carolien Bijen at email@example.com. Preferred starting date 1 January 2020.
We consider the safety and protection of our colleagues as important. We therefore ask you to complete an integrity statement and we may ask for references. A Statement of Behavior (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag) is required for all positions.
Equality and diversity are at the core of the Power of Voices Program and WWF NL and alliance member values. Therefore we actively strive for our employee base to reflect society and the international and inclusive character of our organization and program. Staff are expected to work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of others is valued and respected.