Job Opportunity: Programme Manager
Introduction to the programme “Amplifying Voices for Just Climate Action”
The five-year strategic objective of the programme is “By 2025, local civil society groups have claimed a central role as empowered innovators, facilitators and advocates of climate solutions”. Our programme is about climate justice, i.e. climate change is not only an environmental problem to be addressed but also a societal challenge with ethical and human rights aspects. Hence our intention is to build wide societal support for locally-shaped climate solutions through an inclusive and rights-based approach. This includes building a broad-based climate alliance at country level, bridging divides (urban-rural, gender, youth), to amplify voices in new, unusual ways.
In addition, we will influence policies (national, global) and financial flows (climate finance, private sector investments) in support of these locally-shaped solutions. The programme will be implemented by an alliance of six organisations: WWF NL, Hivos, SouthSouthNorth, Akina Mama wa Afrika, Shack Dwellers International, Fundación Avina. During the five-year programme period, the alliance aims to increase ownership of the programme by local CSOs. The programme is funded by the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs under the “Power of Voices” framework.
For this programme we are looking for a: Programme Manager Alliance Power of Voices (0.8-1.0 FTE)
Role and responsibilities:
- To inspire and engage all necessary stakeholders in the vision for the Power of Voices programme. Ensure equality, space and level playing field for the alliance partners, effective and efficient decision-making and leads the Joint Programme Team (JMT) to translate decisions into coherent implementation.
- Support the JMT, being the linking pin between the country teams, the JMT and the Steering Committee and together with the JMT acts as the Programme Secretariat.
- Organise reporting and planning in support of the SC and JPT.
- Coordinate with a team of staff directly involved with the implementation of the Power of Voices Programme, with the alliance members and through these organisations and the country civil society coalitions and experts involved.
- Facilitate in a careful and inclusive manner, decision-making at alliance level.
- Support in daily coordination and day-to-day management.
- Support the Alliance member chair (rotating) in the preparation of the Alliance JMT meetings and together with the Chair prepare the Steering Committee (Alliance Directors) meetings.
- Ensure continuity in programming, implementation and alignment with the ToC and ambitions of the programme with all alliance members. Provide strategic advice and guidance. Support in ensuring the shift to southern partners.
- Clearly communicate and follow-up JMT and Steering Committee decisions and advice of Global and National Advisory Committees.
- Ensure good team spirit within the alliance and facilitate contacts and discussions in case of disagreements or tensions.
- Report to the JMT on programme progress and coordinate programme planning within the alliance.
- Keep an overview of the technical and financial progress of the various strategies and ensure an up-to-date monitoring dashboard.
- Consolidate internal and donor progress reports for the different components of the programme in close collaboration with the PMEL and finance staff.
- Contribute to and assist with communication materials for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) in close collaboration with the JMT.
- Present programme progress to MoFA upon request of the JMT.
- Be the first focal point and spokesperson for the programme for external stakeholders.
- Academic education in the area of economics, environmental sciences or social sciences.
- At least ten years of work experience in international climate change/nature conservation/social justice settings/climate finance with large human rights, gender equality/inclusion/ecosystem/local ownership components.
- At least ten to 15 years of work experience in project or programme management with experience in a variety of country settings on different continents as well as on managing complex, multi-stakeholder programmes.
- Relevant network of stakeholders in international climate movement, preferably also connections and insight in other relevant global movements.
- Ability to support the alliance to reach out and build relations with global stakeholders especially – but not exclusively – including CSOs, governments, companies, financial institutions.
- Excellent communication and diplomatic skills.
- Fluent English in writing and speaking. Ability to speak Spanish/Portuguese/Bahasa Indonesia is an asset.
We are looking for a person who:
- Is a strategic thinker, can set goals and implement a programme based on an existing vision and strategy.
- Innovative and entrepreneurial; knows how to support building a programme from the start.
- Has an international orientation, who communicates easily and has the ability to connect people with different expertise, background, culture.
- Has experience with speaking for large audiences and representing a programme.
- Willingness to relocate to the South (one of the programme countries).
Place in the organisation
The programme manager is preferably based in the Netherlands to allow for close connections to the Lead applicant (WWF NL) and the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs at the start of the programme, but with the willingness to relocate to the South (one of the programme countries: Brazil, Bolivia, Paraguay, Zambia, Kenya, Tunisia, Indonesia) in due time. The programme manager maintains reporting responsibility to and representation of all alliance partners. This will require occasional travel with the limitation of the Covid-19 pandemic; preference is given to video-conferencing. Preference is given to the best candidate. The programme manager will be appointed and managed by the Steering Committee.
Information and procedure
Are you interested in this role and do you recognise yourself in the above profile? Then we invite you to apply by filling in the form on the WWF NL website. Preferred starting date: 1 January 2021.
We consider the safety and protection of our colleagues as important. We therefore ask you to complete an integrity statement and we may ask for references. A Statement of Behavior (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag) is required for all positions.
Equality and diversity are at the core of the Power of Voices Programme and WWF NL and alliance member values. Therefore we actively strive for our employee base to reflect society and the international and inclusive character of our organisation and programme. Staff are expected to work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of others is valued and respected.