The Climate and Development Knowledge Network works to enhance the quality of life for the poorest and most vulnerable to climate change. CDKN supports decision-makers in designing and delivering climate compatible development by combining knowledge, research and advisory services in support of locally-owned and managed processes. CDKN works in partnership with decision-makers in the public, private and non-governmental sectors nationally, regionally and globally.
Since 2018, CDKN has been led by SouthSouthNorth, working closely with its partners Fundación Futuro Latinoamericano (FFLA) in Quito and ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability-South Asia in Delhi, as well as the Overseas Development Institute in London.
From 2018, CDKN will focus on expanding its knowledge-sharing services to make climate compatible development information and learning as accessible and user-friendly as possible. Its aim is to ensure this information is applied in decision making and informs ambitious climate action. CDKN will work in three areas:
- Knowledge: CDKN’s knowledge programme involves synthesising and tailoring a wealth of evidence and learning on climate compatible development from CDKN and other international programmes to produce highly-targeted knowledge and tools to support policy design and implementation. Sustained engagement in countries in Africa, South Asia and the Andean region of Latin America will help ensure this knowledge is used and achieves impact.
- Peer learning: CDKN will bring developing countries together to share their experiences on delivering climate action on the ground, and help connect fellow professionals who face similar climate and development challenges, within and across borders.
- Climate leadership: CDKN will support climate leaders in developing countries to showcase their knowledge and work on climate compatible development. Through targeted training, mentoring and other skill-building opportunities, we aim to strengthen the capability of individuals in government, business, academia and other spheres to navigate the growing universe of climate knowledge and experience, and further cultivate a new generation of climate champions
CDKN also continues to deliver a range of research and technical assistance projects, support peer networking, and share the results and learning from our work. Ongoing projects include:
- Climate Resilient Cities Initiative in Latin America (CRC)
- Future Climate for Africa (FCFA)
- Low Emission Development Strategies Global Partnership (LEDS GP)
- Mobilising Investment for NDC Implementation
A range of donors supports CDKN, with core funding from the Royal Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs (DGIS) and Canada’s International Development Research Centre (IDRC). CDKN continues to seek new and exciting future opportunities. If your organisation or programme would like to partner with CDKN, please contact us at email@example.com.
Photo: Abbie Trayler-Smith / Panos Pictures / Department for International Development